September 8, 2006

What's Your Genre?

Who do you read? That's what you should write, so they say. Here are books/authors I've read recently - some, if not most, are favorites:

Cozy
Tamar Myers (Magdalena Yoder)
MC Beaton (Agatha Raisin)
Nancy Bell (Biggie)
Alexander McCall Smith (Mme Ramotswe)
Susan Conant (Holly Winter)
Diane Mott Davidson (Goldy Bear)

Hard-Boiled
James M. Cain
Raymond Chandler
Dashiell Hammett
John D. McDonald

Legal Thriller
Lisa Scottoline (all)
John Grisham
Earl Stanley Gardner (Perry Mason)

Private Eye/Caper
Janet Evonovich (all)
Sue Grafton (Kinsey Milhone)
Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody)

Whodunit-Classic
Elizabeth George (Inspector Linley)
Agatha Christie (Poirot, Marple)
Carolyn Hart (Henrie O)
PD James (Inspector Adam Dalgliesh)

True Crime
Diane Fanning (all)
Frank Abagnale (Catch Me If You Can)

Science Fiction
Patricia Briggs (Mercedes series)

Romantic Suspense
Daphne DuMaurier - Rebecca
Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre

Romance
Margaret Mitchell - Gone With the Wind
Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice
George Eliot - Middlemarch
Charles Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities

Here's my quick list - I know I've missed some. Already, I see that I'm driven by characterization in my reading, as well as my writing. Ethical dilemmas and the fight between good and evil also form a theme in this list. Humor and wit are there. And, I'm much more focused on mysteries than romance. All, good to know.

No comments: