June 8, 2011

Here's Why I'm Reading Anna Karenina

Roaming around the web this week, I stumbled upon a list of books that famous authors considered to their favorite books, which corresponds with an actual book on these lists-- The Top Ten: Writers Pick Their Favorite Books.

It's only $9.76 for a Kindle edition.  There's a blog, too. 


Anyway, I had discovered the Top Ten list from all their collective selections -- and there was Tolstoy's Anna Karenina at the top.  Number One.  Anna Karenina, really? 

All these different, successful writers had chosen this book as the best of the best, the creme of the creme.  Ever read it? 

No, me neither, I'm not ashamed to admit.  (I did see Vivien Leigh in the 1948 movie version, but I hated the ending and after all, Anna was no Scarlett. I like survivors, I am one.)

Still, here I was - wanting a good book, one of those that keep you up at night, and here this was: this list.  So, I went over to Amazon and guess what?  Right now, Anna Karenina, Kindle version, is FREE

It was a sign.  So, right now I'm reading Anna Karenina.  I hope they're all right. 

No comments: